Research suggests that 70 to 80% of suicidal people display warning signs that should be dealt with immediately.
Indicators strongly associated with suicide:
- Talking about suicide, death or dying: saying things like "life isn’t worth it" or "things would be better if I was gone".
- Making jokes, poems, drawings or other references to suicide, death or dying.
- Sharing morbid fantasies about suicide, death or dying.
- Previous or recent suicide attempt.
- Preparation for death: giving away prized possessions, saying goodbye or talking about going away unexpectedly.