Sextortion and Cappers
Sextortion involves individuals who coerce youth into sending sexual images or engaging in sexual acts via webcam and then blackmail them with the threat of distributing the sexual images/videos if they do not pay money or provide more sexual images/videos.
In many incidents, youth are participating in this activity believing they are engaging with another young person. Connections first start out within social networking sites (e.g. Facebook) and then progress to live video feeds (e.g. Skype) where youth engage in sexual behaviours that are secretly recorded by offenders over webcam.
"Cappers" is a network of people who devote their time to capturing images of young girls and boys.
They monitor live internet web rooms, and once they identify someone they think is vulnerable, they gather information about where the teen lives, who they hang around with, and where they go to school. Then as a group, they pressure the teens to expose before the web cam.
They capture the image and share it amongst themselves like trading cards. The photos are also used to blackmail the teens to do much more or risk the photo being sent to everyone they know.
Did you know?
1 in 5 youth are sexually solicited online, and 75% of them do not tell a parent.
(Credit: Children of the Street Society)
What can I do?
- Talk to your child about the risks associated with using technology to experiment sexually and the potential risk of blackmail/extortion
- Discuss how your child can protect him or herself from predators online
- Be understanding and non-judgmental in your dialogue with your children as they may be embarrassed about their sexual experimentation
- Offer practical steps for getting out of a harmful situation
- Contact your local law enforcement authority if you believe your child is being blackmailed or extorted online
Predator Watch – Children of the Street Society
Online Safety - The Door that’s Not Locked – Canadian Centre for Child Protection
Interview with Jesse Miller, Mediated Reality and Diane Sowden, Children of the Street Society